Sunday, December 9, 2007

Japanese Haircut: Great Success

There comes a time in every man's life when he needs to get the most popular haircut in Japan. For me, that time was yesterday. I returned to the same guy that cut my hair last time I was in Yamanouchi. I don't know his name, but everyone in my family calls him masuta- (master). He's basically really good at cutting hair. My picture on the wall of his store twice and on his website here. It's a pretty brilliant photo from last year. Be impressed.

So I followed my own advice on getting a Japanese haircut, and studied some vocabulary before I left. During the haircut, I noticed he was trying to ask me something about my bangs, and he was happily surprised when I said, "maegami wa nagai hou ga ii" or "You can leave my bangs long." It was awesome. When he asked me what kind of style I wanted, I answered "jouhinna katto hoshi, ima nihon de nani ha ninki ga aru?" meaning, "I want a stylish haircut, what's popular in Japan right now?" He proceeded to describe the haircut I have now, to which I happily agreed. Rather than describe it to you, I think I'll just show you:






That last one is me and the master. That's one for the fridge. I'll let you guys know as soon as he puts new pictures up on his site.

No comments: