Thursday, December 20, 2007

The King and I: Chicagoland's Best Thai Food in America EVER!

Well, it's 4 AM. Again. Another perfect time for a blog post. I'm not sure what I should write about, so I'm going to tell you about The King and I, the best Thai restaurant in the Chicagoland area, according to me.





Okay, let me preface this thing by saying you will probably be able to find better tasting Thai food somewhere in the Chicagoland area if you look hard and are willing to pay more for it. That being said, The King and I is the tits. It's run by two really nice middle-aged ladies and they are very attentive servers. This is really important in a Thai restaurant, as spicy food is a specialty, so it's really nice to have them frequently refilling your water glass and bring rice if you request it. The menu is pretty broad, offering a wide variety of Thai classics, from curry, to rice dishes, and of course, pad thai. Now I've been going there pretty regularly for almost a year now, so I've developed a usual. The chefs know exactly how I like my pad thai, and the ladies always know what I'm going to order when I come in. The restaurant has a really good atmosphere, the single dining room is well lit, never feels crowded with tables, and I've never had to wait for a seat. It's always just a really good experience, and being in the place is very soothing, especially after a hard work shift.

Now the dealbreaker for The King and I is the price. While most Thai restaurants will have you paying in the $10-13 range for an entree, most King and I offerings are between 6-9 dollars. In addition, until 3 pm they offer a $6 lunch special which comes with soup (Hot and Sour is delicious), spring or egg roll, and an entree. This may not seem like a huge deal, but with these prices I can afford to go there regularly, only having to pay as much as a Chipotle burrito, which I think is a great deal for really good Thai food.

King and I is located in my hometown, Chicago-suburb Oak Park. To view a Google Map, click here. Otherwise, the address is:

105 N. Marion St. (Just North of the train tracks on Marion)

Oak Park, IL 60302

(708) 383-2975

I recommend you stop by and check it out. Hey, you'll probably see me there.

No comments: